Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday Shopping

Bustling department stores are always a trying place before Christmas and I usually do my best to avoid them. However, I was in desperate need of a black skirt and decided to head to the trenches and shop downtown. I milled around the store for a bit, pleased by the shiny decorations and cheerful staff. My fellow browsers were polite and unhurried. As I entered the dressing room, my arm sagging from the weight of seven skirt possibilities, I realized all rooms were full except for one marked “out of order.” Turning back, I stood by the entry to wait and was soon joined by another customer.

A clerk approached us, apologizing for the line. Both of us were content with waiting and told her not worry, it was not a problem. The clerk resisted our pleas and insisted on investigating the dressing room situation. She came back quickly and told us there was one available, the room marked “out of order.”

I asked her what was wrong with it, expecting her to tell us the lock was busted. Instead she answers “oh, somebody peed in it, and they won’t let us bring the steamer up during store hours.”

I told the clerk I would be happy to wait till another room was available.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

hahaha, good choice! gotta love the manners of holiday shoppers...wow.