Friday, April 29, 2011

Getting Your Five Daily Servings

Your average farmers market is ripe with sexuality. Round juicy fruits and bright oblong vegetables displayed provocatively can make even the most hardened shopper blush.


This past week, I was an early bird at my local market and chatted with the old men who run the stalls. An easy camaraderie had developed over the months and the silver haired gentlemen were never been anything but jolly.


Shortly after one of the bearded gnome-like farmers weighed my basket of brussel sprouts, he banged the bell beside him, which reverberated throughout the empty market. I smiled and excitedly asked “Am I your first of the day?” He looked at me (and in my head twirled his handlebar moustache) and said “Well you’re my first customer. “ He was, I quickly realized, referring to sexual relations. I recoiled just a bit, as he continued “but she was way less satisfied with me than you will be with those sprouts.”


He was right. The veggies were delicious, but I have not yet gone back for seconds.

No comments: